
BEB Series - Episode 7: Re-uniting
As he was walking me down to my hostel that very night, I had an instinct he wanted to tell me what I had already seen in his diary but was probably thinking it wasn’t yet the appropriate time. All I could remember was he left smiling away as he said, “good night sweetheart”.
In no time, exams time table was out and thank God my courses were separated in a way that none clashed nor affected another. When I finished my papers, I was so happy to leave for home and see my family.
On getting home the following day after exams, my mum had already prepared my special delicacy amala and ewedu with fresh fish soup. I was happy to re-unite with my family after months. Days later, I dashed off to see my cousins in Lagos.
They resided in Oniru estate, Lekki back then. My cousins drove me round Lagos to see nice places on the Island and Mainland. I visited Elegushi and Oniru beach, Ikoyi, Victoria Island, Victoria garden city and Ajah.
Since I was in Lagos, I decided to put a call through to Akin’s mobile line to find out how he was spending his semester break but his mobile line wasn’t going through after trying it like several times.
During the break, Sola told me he wanted us to be much more than friends but I wasn’t interested. I told him out rightly that I was in love with Akin which he knew and I suggested he dated my roommate, Temi.
Throughout our stay on campus, I gave Akin the pointers that I wanted us to be much more than friends but it didn’t get his attention still. I decided to let go of my loving someone who just couldn’t reciprocate it. I redirected my focus to my course and did excellently well.
I was not ready to graduate with just any grade but ‘First Class’. I read more when my colleagues were busy sleeping and partying. I devoted more time to surf the internet for better ways of answering test questions and examinations.
My second best place apart from my bed was the University’s Library. It was where I did all the reading and when I graduated I came out with a ‘First Class Degree’. Finally, my childhood dream came true and my family was very proud of me.
After graduation, I lost contact with Akin till we met again two years after. I got a job in one of the Law firms in Lagos immediately after my NYSC. I bumped on Akin at one seminar I went for, to represent my boss and oh my God! I had butterflies in my stomach again.
We talked for a while after which we exchanged numbers and departed. He called me later that day and said, “Deola dear, it’s really nice seeing you again after a long while” and I said, “Yes dear, it is”. He then said, “Can we hang out during the weekend?” and I responded with, “No problem”.
On that fateful Saturday morning, we hooked up at the kuramo beach in Lagos and played and ate together and just when he was about telling me what happened to us in school he had an emergency call.
His boss called him to meet him somewhere immediately, he hurriedly left for the place and apologized he couldn’t wait to chat with me any longer.
Gosh! I almost felt like cursing his boss for calling at the wrong time. Left the beach angrily and went straight home. While on my bed my phone rang, I looked at my phone’s screen and it was a call from a colleague at work.
She wanted to come over and asked if I were home, to which I said, “Yes dear I’m home”. Ngozi was one of the naughtiest persons I have ever met in my entire life. She knows how to make you smile even when you are so damn angry.
She came over some minutes later and we started talking and she noticed I wasn’t my normal self. I told her something unexpected happened that spoilt my mood.
Being the curious type she was, she asked, “Why?” and I replied that, “There is a guy, I have been waiting for him to ask me out from way back in our University days in school and was about telling me the reason he couldn’t ask me out when his boss called him and he hurriedly left”.
Ngozi just advised me to take it easy that no matter what happens if Akin was destined to be mine he wouldn’t go after another lady.
A week later, Akin called and pleaded we see again to make up for the last time. In my mind, I was like finally; I would know why he couldn’t date me in school. He called and asked, “Can we see this following Saturday?” And I just replied, “Okay then”.
We met at one Chinese restaurant where he told me how he felt for me back in school but didn’t have the courage to open up because he didn’t want to break my heart. I just asked, “What do you mean by break my heart?” and he replied, “I had a girlfriend in the United Kingdom during our undergraduate days”. My mouth was wide open in surprise.
She came to Nigeria immediately we graduated and told me she wanted us to break up because she knew I didn’t like her and only just wanted to please my parents.
Akin confessed to me that he didn’t like the lady but his parents forced her on him. We’re family friends and our parents had business interests at heart.
I thought I would love her as time went by but couldn’t and we broke up. “It was then, I realized I shouldn’t have ignored the feelings I had for you”, he said.
I tried getting in touch with you all to no avail, I was emotionally down for some time till I summoned up courage to move on and prayed to God that one day I will find you and express how I felt and still feel for you.
The next thing, he asked, “Sweetheart, are you in any relationship at the moment?” And I said, “Not at all”, after which he said, “Honey, I love you more than words can utter and I want to spend the rest of my life with you, will you give me a chance?” and I said, “Sure sweetie”.
Gosh! Finally he spoke and for the first time we kissed passionately on the beach sand. That day was the second happiest day of my life till 6 months later.
Click HERE for the grand-finale.
Kindly drop your comments.Thanks
No comments:
Post a Comment
Your comments are always special.
To Contact Bola Esho For News/Tip Off/Advert:
Facebook - @BolaEshosBlog
Instagram - @_BolaEshosBlog
Disclaimer:- Comments on this blog are NOT posted by the blog owner, Bola Esho. BEB readers are SOLELY responsible for the comments they post on the blog. Thank you.